Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tom's Shoe Makeover

I love Tom's shoes, and I mean LOVE. I even got my fiance hooked on them! If you don't know about Tom's, they are a company that for every pair of shoes you buy, they give a pair to a needy child, both in the US and internationally. They have also started selling sunglasses, and every pair of those gives a child a pair of prescription glasses or needed vision surgery. What's not to love about this company? And the shoes? Adorable!

The first pair I bought were a pair of their navy classics. I wore them so much in the past 2 years that they were getting little holes in the toes:


*Sigh*

So I looked up ways to give them another chance at life, and found this wonderful little how-to. Since this link does such a good job of how to do it, I will get to the good stuff. Here are the materials I used for the project:



I found both of these at my local Michael's craft store. 

I also had some fabric I won via Itchin' Stitchin:


And following the directions, I came up with this!


 I deviated from the directions at the end, adding a thin ribbon to the base where the fabric meets the rubber sole. It helped to polish off the edges (since my cutting wasn't exactly the prettiest...oops!) I used the glue to attach the ribbon. The next day, the shoes were public-worthy again! Plus they are a fun punch of color!

It's almost like I have a brand new pair of shoes! And I must say, every time I look down at my toes, the orange bubbles kind of make me smile :)

2 comments:

  1. how well did the glue work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken them disc golfing (before the ground was completely dry), and to work (which I walk 20 minutes to), and the fabric/ribbon have not budged! I'd say it's working great! Good question :)

    ReplyDelete